This year's "Mindset" list
As you may know, Beloit College makes up a “Mindset List” each year to reflect the world of the new incoming college students (born in about 1991) — what their life has included, and what it hasn’t. Understandably, reading it makes those of us over, um, thirty feel old and alienated. And who doesn’t like that? So check it out; here’s a few of my favorites from this year:
- 5. Salsa has always outsold ketchup.
- 6. Earvin “Magic” Johnson has always been HIV-positive.
- 9. Rap music has always been mainstream.
- 15. Babies have always had a Social Security Number.
- 22. The European Union has always existed.
- 30. There has always been a Cartoon Network.
- 32. Their folks could always reach for a Zoloft.
- 34. Women have always outnumbered men in college.
- 38. Belarus, Moldova, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Armenia, Latvia, Georgia, Lithuania, and Estonia have always been independent nations.
- 68. Official racial classifications in South Africa have always been outlawed.